Thursday, July 25, 2013

Thankful Thursdays: July 25, 2013 : Blessings






God has been very busy in my life in the last few months.
I didn't really see just how busy He's been until last night when I took time to reflect so I have quite a bit to be thankful for but I am thankful for the blessings of my job.

To some a C.N.A. or Certified Nursing Assistant is nothing more than a glorified babysitter but to me it's one of the most honorable jobs that there is. My Nanny was a C.N.A. for as long as I can remember.I remember she always worked 3 P.M. to 11 P.M., though I will never know why she stayed on this shift. Every day she was scheduled to work, we would have lunch and then Nanny would get in the bath tub, her white uniforms were washed and so white that it would blind you. She polished her white nursing shoes, made sure her teeth and breath were just right and she would head into work. At times that I was visiting her, she would sometimes take me with her.

 When I wake up at 4 A.M. and start to get ready for my day, I make sure I get a shower, I brush my teeth and use mouth wash, fix my hair, put on make-up and my scrubs that don't have a single wrinkle in them, lace up my shoes and head down the highway to work. I am thankful that my Nanny instilled this in my mind many years ago.

Yesterday made day 6 in a row of work. It was hard for me to get out of bed, it was hard for me to wake up, it was hard for me to get dressed and to make it to the gas station for a Monster, which I shouldn't drink and I don't really like but that's how tired I was. I pulled into work, took a deep breath and headed inside hoping that the day would come with very little challenges and go by quickly. I was here to help these people and so I would do it at my own pace, quickly.

It's funny how you think you are helping someone else and really they are helping you so much more. Since I work in the medical field, I cannot tell you why people are in my facility nor can I tell your their names but I am going to tell you about a few of my residents who blessed me on a day that I just knew was going to be terrible. It started with Ms. A who was so happy that I was there it made my heart flutter. See, to some people, working there is just a paycheck or a job but I take it really serious because it's my calling from God. I'm glad that she anticipates the days that I am working.

Next came Ms. B, Ms. B greeted me with a big, toothy grin which in turn made me shoot her back a big toothy grin. Remember, when I woke up, I had already decided that I was going to have a bad day. Ms. C instilled more of her wisdom on raising kids and how to survive the teenage years, something I value since she survived having more children than me and managed to stay sane. Next came Mr. D who was having a terrible day himself. It was really a simple fix and before I left for the day he loaned me a Joyce Meyer CD to listen to in the car. This CD prompted me to apologize to Joseph for emotionally manipulating him or at least trying to.

Lastly came Ms. E. Ms. E's spouse comes to visit her every single day at the exact same time every single day. Most days he stays in her room reading to her, talking to her, taking her outside so her skin can absorb the Vitamin D and he never misses a single day. It made me really think about love and getting older. Joseph is almost 18 years older than I am which means that he is already in the beginning stages of aging. I personally have no issue with this at all but it raises some real questions about what I would do if and it also prompted me to think what if we were Mr. & Ms. E?

I have no doubt in my mind that Joseph would come every single day and take care of me just like Mr. E does for Ms. E. I also have no doubt in my mind that I would do the same for him. It just goes to show that we are not as mighty as we think we are. God will use people we least expect to bless us in big ways.







1 comment:

  1. It's amazing how God can make a horrible day turn around. I have so much admiration for CNA's, y'all work so hard.

    ReplyDelete